Summer 2018 is drawing to a close and with it, we are bidding farewell to our summer intern Jamie. Jamie, who is American and attends university in California, was referred to us as she was looking to gain programming experience abroad in London. We were thrilled to have her and she was a great asset to our team. As a guest author to The Wire blog, we asked her to talk about her internship and what she learned during her time at Skywire.
This summer I spent 8 weeks working at Skywire as an intern. I am American student going into my third year studying Computer Science with a minor in Business and this summer was my first time living abroad. There were so many things I loved about my summer internship at Skywire. First were the people I worked side by side with, Skywire feels like family – it’s easy to see everyone trusts and cares about each other. Everyone spent time with me and really took an interest in helping me grow and learn.
This summer was also my first time working in a professional setting. While I was adjusting to the working world and the hours that go along with it, I was also adjusting to being immersed in a new culture and constantly learning about their everyday life. All of my coworkers helped immensely – from chatting in the kitchen while making tea (they actually have a tea society here) to helping me when I was stuck on an assignment – they were always easy to approach and kind-hearted. Everyone gave me suggestions about activities and sights worth seeing in London so I could make the most of my time, including my life-changing introduction to Nando’s.
Another thing I enjoyed is the work they do for their clients. Skywire is a leading luxury, fashion & lifestyle digital agency dedicated to crafting strong & meaningful interactive experiences for our brand partners. The whole team is creative, hard-working, customer-focused and fun! I worked on web development and Skywire offers so much more. In terms of improving my technical skills, these are some of the new skills I developed with the help of my Skywire team:
- – Building new web pages and learning to efficiently reuse content from other pages without accessing the CSS files.
- – Creating electronic newsletters to meet client design requirements using HTML and CSS. Even with GDPR, email is still king in marketing!
- – Learning about the development process and workflow to take a website from conception, to design, through technical development, testing and deployment.
- – Using Moqups to document websites and designs
- – Testing websites using different browsers and actions and suggesting and making improvements based on the findings
- – Replatforming pages from Magento 1 to Magento 2 to allow clients to make content changes independently
- – Using Magento to alter Meta titles and descriptions for entire websites.
I developed all these skills in 8 weeks and I had the time of my life working with an incredible team in one of the best cities in the world. My new skills in development, project management, e-commerce platforms, testing, and more will be really useful to me as I continue my studies and eventually pursue a career. This internship has given me a better sense of what I am capable of and what I want to achieve when I finish university and enter the working world.
Working at Skywire this summer was everything I had hoped for and more!
If you are interested in an internship with Skywire, we are always looking out for those interested in looking to gain experiences in a digital agency with internships in strategy, programming and creative. Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.